In Summary, this is how to create a line graph in tableau
- Drag the 2 columns you want to graph into the view. Could be a dimension and a measure values, or a measure and a measure values
- Change your dimension value from discrete data to continuous data (if applicable)
- Select the level of detail you want (if applicable)
Here is a work-through explanation of the above steps.
You have to realize that a line graph shows continuous data over time.
So, to create a line graph, we will be graphing sales over the ship date
In tableau, when you first bring date into the view, it defaults to discrete data type that is why you have dates in different panes.
To make the graph look like continuous date, we need to change the date data type from discrete to continuous.
To learn more about the different between discrete and continuous data, check out my online course on the how to analyze data WITHOUT Coding using Tableau
To change our date data to continuous data type,
- Click on the drop down icon on date column (or just right click date) >
- choose either year, or quarter, or month from the SECOND set of dates.
- The FIRST set of dates = discrete dates, the second set of dates = Continuous dates.
When you choose a continuous date value, this is what the result looks like.
That, is how to create a line graph in tableau. If you want to learn more about tableau, I teach people how to analyze data WITHOUT Coding using Tableau. I also help companies analyze their data using tableau. Be sure to contact me if you need somebody to analyze your company data for you using Tableau.
Check out my latest blog posts below…
- Github Useful Notes and Commands
- How to setup SSH on Windows Powershell for github
- Programming Concepts : Object Oriented Programming (OOP) in Python
- Programming Concepts
- Machine Learning Concepts